Thursday, March 29, 2007

The candy man can


To whom it may concern:

I never thought I'd write two consecutive Jesus-themed letters, but here we are. Today at work I read a fax whose subject was "Naked Jesus - genitals exposed - crucified." My first thought was that this was 2,000-year-old news, but it was better than I thought: they had omitted the word "
chocolate," which made all the difference.

-----
From April 1 to April 7, the Roger Smith Lab Gallery at the Roger Smith Hotel in New York City will display a 6-foot-tall anatomically correct sculpture of Jesus in milk chocolate; the figure is depicted as crucified. Artist Cosimo Cavallaro titles his work "My Sweet Lord."

-----

Now, I enjoy a pun. Where I encounter puns, I appreciate them. I make my own; some people praise me for them, others wince. Such is the life of a punslinger.

One thing that cannot be said is that I have made a six-foot chocolate sculpture to back up one of my puns - and that is why Cosimo Cavallaro is a better man than I.

Yours truly,
Christopher

ps. Catholic League president Bill Donohue is said "All those involved are lucky that angry Christians don't react the way extremist Muslims do when they're offended - otherwise they may have more than their heads cut off."
He doesn't say what "more than their heads cut off" means. Funding, perhaps?

pps. UPDATE! - A later fax said that Cavallaro is inviting the public to eat the statue. It does not mention if they will serve it with hot cross buns.

No comments: